785. It was not until after woman had brought the Redeemer into the world,¾not until after she had given her testimony to the most important facts in the Christian’s faith, and convinced the early disciples of their truth; not until long after Paul’s days, when “grievous wolves” had entered the flock, as Paul said they would do (Acts 20:29); and wrested Paul’s language, as Peter said they did (2 Peter 3:15-16), that the teaching arose that Paul had silenced women, veiled them, and subordinated them to men. We have shown that his language is capable of more consistent interpretation.
786. Woman has the honor of being the subject of a GREAT PROPHECY. That prophecy is, that the Seed of the women shall bruise the Serpent’s head; and, as we have shown, that prophecy was only fulfilled in part by the advent of Jesus Christ into this world. He has not yet come in power, to bruise the Serpent’s head; and when He does come the second time, women will have prepared the way by preaching that second coming. Woman is to have a special part with Him in this late war upon Satan; for not only is Christ the enemy of Satan, but we know, by the express word of God, that woman is destined to be the same,¾“I will put enmity between thee and the woman,” is said quite as plainly as,“¾between they seed and her Seed.
The agony and travail of the Woman seem to signify some great spiritual travail of soul into which women will be plunged just before the Lord’s second coming; and as a result a large body of men (the man child), of exceptional holiness and devotion will rise; this will be that bringing forth of a man child. The entire sign relates to spiritual transaction; and the man child will be the spiritual, not the physical, seed of the woman.
827. The “childbearing” of Revelation 12 is that same “childbearing” of 1 Timothy 2:15, of which the Apostle Paul speaks prophetically, in connection with those words about the formation of woman after man, in the spiritual sense. He says of woman: “She shall be saved through the childbearing [R. V.], if they continue in charity and holiness with sobriety.”
796. “Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is liberty.” Was ever anyone able to change his or her delusions short of aid from without? We doubt it. A cure of the spirit demands the aid of the Spirit. Who does not understand that the chief difficulty that God and Moses had in delivering the children of Israel from the bondage of Egypt was not the Egyptians, but the spirit of slavery and the spirit of bondage to pagan gods, to which those Israelites were likewise enslaved? God easily disposed of the Egyptians in the Red Sea, but He could not, in the same easy fashion, drown the spirit of bondage in the Israelites which they had acquired under slavery. Just so with women of today. Except for a mere handful of mistaken men, who could easily be put aside, the men of Christian countries constitute no longer an obstacle to woman’s freedom and preaching of the Gospel.
787. God revealed to Satan, by this saying, not merely what woman was, not even what she now is, but what woman is to become. And this is the meaning of her sufferings, which were predicted in Genesis 3:16, all through the ages. This is why she corresponds, in shadow, to the substance,¾“A woman of sorrows, and acquainted with grief,” Isaiah 53:3; that all the thousands of millions of human beings who have entered this world, came along the pathway of woman’s agony. This is why every woman should have an unutterable horror of godlessness and atheism. Without God, man is Satan’s slave, and woman is the slave of Satan’s slave